About the artist
Based in Schoten, Belgium.
2017 graduated Master degree in Printmaking – Fine Arts at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp, Belgium.
Currently working at the Printmaking department at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp.
Peter’s work is about the fragile lines between existing leftovers of humanity and nature that is reclaiming lost spaces. He creates images that look like pure natural elements, but can be interpreted as human interference which is – after certain time- overruled by nature again. Elements such as ruins or decline in general, the transience of human interventions and the playful tension between light and shadow are important aspects of his visual world.
In a lot of his works, nature is displayed in its rough, strong or dramatic forms. This powerful, uncontrollable and wild elements of nature are fascinate him. That’s why the creation of an image usually starts with a brief sketch and then continues evolving by using the unpredictability of the moment of drawing and painting itself. The basic element of all interesting things, is very often the presence – or a dialogue between – contrast and harmony whenever it’s presented in the absence or presence of light, shape or structure. Most certain, in two-dimensional work this exists in the way of drawing, use of color, etc.
The biggest amount of artworks are create by using lithography. Not only is it a nice medium to create a spontaneous and fast edition, its also a very physic technique, in which the artist can completely disappear while working. The specific characteristics of the technique influence the image strongly and give the opportunity to create a very personally unique language.
“I know i achieved what i wanted when people at least stop for a second in their daily routine and look at my works. I would like them to feel and see something when they see my art. To create a moment of fascination. When it touches them, moves them, I know it’s right.”
Selected expo’s and Awards
- Museum De Reede, Antwerp, Belgium, 2018
- International KoMASK Masters Printmaking Award 2018, Antwerp, Belgium, 2018
- Group expo “Signatuur”, Badhuis, Antwerp, Belgium, 2017
- Group expo “Loodwit bij Toerisme Vlaanderen”, Toerisme Vlaanderen, Brussels, Belgium, 2017
- Group expo “The Master Graduates of St. Lucas & The Royal Academy of fine arts.”, at Tersago – Dedecker Antwerp, Belgium, 2017
- Award Peto Urzua, Antwerp, Belgium, 2017
- Group expo “Kraljevska akademija lepih umetnosti Antverpen” Galerija Fakulteta Likovnih Umetnosti, Serbia, 2017
- Group expo “Gravure/proposition 2” Galerie des Beaux-Arts, Liège, Belgium, 2017
- Group expo “Student of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp” at Akademia Sztuk Pięknych w Katowicach, Katowice, Poland, 2017
- International Academic Printmaking Alliance Invitational Exhibition, Forbidden City, Beijing, China, 2016
- Group exhibition “4 Expo’s” at ‘Ruimte 34’, Cobdenstraat 34 Antwerp, 2016
- Illustration for “H²O”, Springnumber (130) of ‘Gierik & NVT’ and groupexpo VOORSTELLING LENTENUMMER GIERIK & NVT, Antwerp, Belgium, 2016
- Group exhibition “ARIA” (Antwerp Research Institute for the Arts) at Stadsfeestzaal Antwerp, Belgium, 2016
- Group exhibition “WHO ARE OUR HEROES THIS YEAR?”, at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp, Belgium, 2015
- Group exhibition “Back from China”, Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp, Belgium, 2015
- 1e Audience Prize “Startersprize”, Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp, Belgium, 2015
- Impact 9, The International Printmaking Conference”, at the China Academy of Art and Zhejiang Art Museum in Zhenjiang, China, 2015
- Group exhibition “Frans Dille Prize 2015” Plantyn Moretus Museum Antwerp, Belgium, 2015
- 2 works included in the collection “Senefelder Stiftung Award 2015”, Germany, 2015
- “7th international Lithographic Symposium 2015”, Tidaholm, Sweden, 2015
- Group exhibition “Is that a hickey”, Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp, Belgium, 2014
2th Audience Prize “Startersprize”, Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp, Belgium, 2014